In 1951, William Burr- born 1870 in Lindley wrote a History of Lindley. This is one of the photos in the book which was owned by Kathryn Loughridge. A copy is in the Lindley historian files at the Lindley Town Hall. Mr. Burr -a lawyer attended Alfred University and Cornell. He practiced in Rochester, NY and worked in the oil business in Wyoming before retiring to Massachusetts.
Note The barn is about where the Austin store-( built about 1953 ) was located next to the present Town Hall.
The school ( #2) - the little white building on left of the Church (#1) was located near the Tioga River. The 1972 flood ended its existence.
Across the river is the Middlebrook home now owned by the Squires family (the grove of trees to the right is the old Middlebrook Cemetery).
The extensive lumber industry of the 1840's-1850's left the denuded hillsides.
(#3 is the last house below the Church- Mr.Burr's birthplace . )