Welcome to the Lindley Presho Genealogical and Historical Society Blog.
Our mission researching and preserving our history and genealogy.
Retired Lindley Town Historian - Catherine "Kitty" Pierce.
Welcome to out new blog format! Please submit your genealogy and history question or appropriate postings to Kitty or Tracy
Copied from Colonial Ancestors and Descendants
by Uri Mulford Corning,. 1920 ( Gt.Grandson of Dr and Mrs. Mulford).
Dr. Ezekiel Mulford
Ezekiel Mulford, ( 5th generation) (Ezekiel -Jeremiah -Thomas - William) was born at East Hampton in 1764, married Nancy Lindsley, daughter of Eleazer Lindsley and his wife Mary(Miller); died in Town of Lindley,N.Y. of Pneumonia Typus January 13, 1813; she died the preceding day and they are both buried in one grave. The disease started in New England in the spring of 1811 and spread from community to community -causing many deaths.
Dr. Mulford studied medicine and surgery first as an apprentice and doctor's assistant as was then the practice, at Sag Harbor and later served in military hospital at Morristown, N. J. He married Nancy Lindsley and they migrated to Wyoming ,Pa. on the Susquehanna and were among the first settlers of Lindley, in June 1790. Dr. Mulford brought surgical instruments and medical supplies. These together with the household furnishings and eatables, were lost in a fire that destroyed the log cabin home on Christmas Day, 1793. The cabin stood on Meeting House Hill, near Watson Creek. -about a half mile from the Pennsylvania line; nearby, on the creek, were the saw mill and grist mill each run by an over-shot waterwheel. The mills were built by Col. Lindsley.
Dr. Mulford was the first member of his profession to locate in the Painted Post section of the Genesee Country. He cultivated the friendship of the Indians by ministering to their needs without price. He owned a large tract of land in the township of Lindley .When his estate was settled most of the land was sold for the benefit of his "land poor" heirs. Later all his children shared in the estate of their grandfather ,Capt. Mulford of Sag Harbor, Long Island.
Nancy Lindsley ,wife of Dr. Mulford was held in tender remembrance by her children . she was their companion ,in turn their first school teacher, early instructed her daughters how to knit, sew, darn, patch and cook; in her home the Bible was the "Book of Books" and children a precious heritage.
Children of Dr. Ezekiel Mulford and his wife Nancy ( Lindsley )
1. Lindsley Born 1784 Died 1871 M. Huldy Salisbury
2. Jeremiah Born 1784 Died April 1860. M. Anna Van Wye
3. Eleazer Born 1787 Died 1871 M. Elizabeth Lillibridge
4. Nancy Born Died 1852 M. 1. Cornelius Williams ,
2- John Gray
5. Eliza Born 1792 Died 1852 First white child born in Lindley
M. Dulcena Backus
6. Savalon Born 1794 Died M. ____ Condit
7. Mahlon Born 1794 Died 1867 (Twin of Savalon) M. Sophia Condit
8. Castilla Born 1796 Died 1878 Commonly called Major
M. Sebrina Sheppard
9. Almira Born 1798 Died 1871 M. David Halsey
10. Mariel Born 1800 Died 1882 M. Samuel Campbell
11. James Born 1801 Died age 15
12. Phebe Born 1803 Died 1857 M. Joshua Russell
13. Minerva Born 1805 Died M. John Adamson
14. Jane Born 1807 Died 1873 M. Radolphus Cleveland
15. Eleanor Born 1810 Died 1890 M. Orlando Gregory